4/16/10

Stage update!

Yesterday I got a call from the executive chef at Fino, checking on my availability for a stage at his restaurant this weekend.  I got the call while at work, I was completely surprised and just about speechless.  I absolutely did not expect anything like this.  We talked and lined up a stage for tomorrow afternoon, I go in on Saturday at 4pm. 
Here's where I'll be working tomorrow evening: http://www.astiaustin.com/fino/
 
Then today at 8am James from Olivia emailed me to set up an interview!  Chef James Holmes is a huge local talent, and I'm excited to talk to him.  We tried to get together today, but I went to Olivia this afternoon and he had been called away.  So we talked and we'll try again on Monday.  Olivia would be the ultimate stage and externship opportunity. 
 
So just like that, I'm now working two great stage opportunities.  Happened so fast.
 
Last night's class was a fun night, fried chicken and chicken fingers.  The idea behind last night being in the curriculum is that basically every place needs to have some chicken fingers on the menu for the kids, so we fancied them up Le Cordon Bleu style with smoked paprika, panko, and other nice ingredients.  We got them GBD (golden/brown/delicious) as the chef-instructors like to say.  Another 20, and an 18 for the country fried chicken legs -- our creamed zucchini was a bit loose, and the mashed potatoes needed a wee bit more butter.
 
We left early too; the neighbors in the building next door laid down some epoxy on the floors to dry overnight, and all the night shift students like me got a mouthful of fumes.  Our class was fine, just a bit lightheaded, but the fire trucks had to come out and give some people oxygen.  I saw one girl getting an oxygen mask while 6 firemen stood around her eating fresh chocolate biscotti.  I bet they love getting calls out to the culinary school.  
 
I was able to go home and hang out with Jen some, surprised her by coming home an hour early.  Getting home at 10pm is now early to me.  My whole internal clock is completely different now.  Whatever my life looks like when I get out of this program, it'll require some major schedule readjustments.  Especially considering that I literally did marathon training until the day before culinary school.  There are so many books I am not reading these days. 

1 comment:

  1. Great post. Especially the part about the snacking firemen. :-)

    ReplyDelete