4/25/10

Friday/Saturday

Friday was the final for our proteins class, super fun night.  Everyone was scared to death about what dish they would yank from the toque of destiny.  There were actually two toques, one with dishes and one with presentation times - so it was possible to draw two braises (long cook time) and the first presentation time (you're screwed). 

I pulled presentation slot #11, giving me three hours.  And for food I got poached salmon a la nage, and sauteed airline chicken breast with veg tagliatelle and tarragon sauce.  I could make everything on burners, no deep fry or convection oven needed.  I stashed some extra whole butter in plastic and on ice so it could be cold for the tarragon sauce; none of my sauces have broken and I was going to lose my shit if I broke one on finals night.

I sliced my knuckle pretty decent with a mandoline while cutting tagliatelle.  A couple choice burns while basting the chicken breast.  But overall I did well, stayed organized and served two good dishes on time, both were 18 out of 20, two As.  The salmon needs to be cooked medium, which has been a wildly moving target for me and my friends.  Due to different cut sizes of salmon and varying cook times, no one has nailed the sweet spot yet.  Mine was a bit overcooked (yet for a normal salmon it was just south of fully cooked), and my friend R did his two minutes shorter than mine, but chef said his was undercooked.  This poach is elusive as hell.

Staged at Fino again last night, loved it.  Huge flavors!  We were busy, we started the night with a 45 top.  Keeps me on my toes.  The next few weekends are booked at home, so I let them know I can come back as soon as May 15th.  My school friends need to get up on a stage, this experience on the Fino line is so valuable.

No comments:

Post a Comment