4/26/10

Bakery class starting tonight

For the next three weeks, we'll be in baking class.  Three weeks ago, when my big class split into two smaller ones, half the class did proteins (us) and half did baking (them).  Today, we swap - they start chef Ernie's proteins class and we get to bake. 

This class will be the biggest threat to the waistline yet.  The other class made things like swan-shaped cream puffs, eclairs, candied fruit tarts, jelly roll, wedding cakes, madelines, biscotti, turnovers, cookies.  This means my eating schedule needs to change yet again -- for the past three weeks I've banked on some form of protein leftover (our dish after it's graded) for a late dinner.  Typically I'd eat my half of our dish and maybe some carrot or any other leftover veggie.  Still rich, because everything is whole butter this and cream that, but it's worked.  This one though, man I can't be eating eclairs for dinner for the next month.  Besides, everyone wants a piece of the bakery action; tonight we're doing basic breads and I will bring an extra bag to smuggle food out for the family.  I never brought home any proteins because I wasn't comfortable with how much time they'd have to stay unrefrigerated.  Baked goods are different, so I can bring some home provided I can get it out the door.

First impression of the chef was good; she came by on Friday night to tell us we'll be doing a completely different set of techniques and skills, no sauteeing or braising in the bakery.  In Ruhlman's book, when he gets to the bakery he experiences a total sea change in terms of chef's attitude and overall pace.  It'll be interesting to see if the same thing happens here.     

No comments:

Post a Comment