7/13/10

Leave of absence

Culinary school is not for the faint of heart.
Last week was a Dickens week: best of times, worst of times.  The Ventana program was wonderful; I am enjoying having actual customers, working as a service team, learning the menu, wine pairings (which red goes best with the bone marrow salad, for instance).  The place is top-notch, unique, challenging.  Our chef instructor is ideal for this block, loves the industry and has a true passion for service (and upselling).  Has taught us much about liquor cost control already, which I need to know.  He also has a million restaurant stories, many of them entertaining and wholly depraved.

Last week was also the week my day job demands and family needs were offically stretched too thin.  I'm getting behind in work, and the crew at home really needed a break.  Which is a giant understatement.  It was a kind of crossroads: barrel on and wrap up the program and possibly cause some resentment, or find a way to slow it down and restore the quality of life for everyone.  We have been going nonstop since Feb 15 - and honestly the months leading up to the 15th weren't exactly chill, because I was training for/running a marathon.

So I talked to Chef Jason at my externship-in-waiting, talked to my day job boss, and yesterday worked it out with the school administration: I am now on leave of absence from school until August 20.  This pushes back my graduation date 6 weeks.  An enormous weight has been lifted from the family, and already things are more flexible and relaxed.  It was clearly the right call.  I texted my friends in the program, who will now graduate before me, and let them know.  We'll have to get together for a happy hour.  When I return, I'll be with students I don't know - but culinary school forces quick bonds with one another, I've seen it happen over and over for months, no one stands alone, unless he is a sociopath with a glass eye. 

But even the glass eye guy made friends quick.  And the cokey mascara guy.  And the blue electrical tape on the glasses guy...  So I should be okay come August 20. 

No comments:

Post a Comment