7/6/10

First night of Ventana

Break's over and we are about to suit up again for work.  I'm dashing off this email before I leave my day job, and tonight we start Ventana, the on-premise restaurant at school.  As per usual, I know nothing about what I am getting myself into: will I wait tables first, how is this structured, what's the day look like, why in the hell did we need to get there two hours early, etc. 

I am looking forward to it!  A little nervous, in fact.  Not sure why.  Six weeks left at school, then six weeks at Fino, then it's back to life as usual, whatever that is.  Of the six weeks at school, only three will be spent in my white coats.  That means in three weeks I will have five school chef's coats, and nowhere to wear them.  I think I'll use them around the house when I am perfecting my recipes for our restaurant.  Hell, I might wear them mowing the lawn -- they weren't cheap! 

But it's really winding down, at least it is to me.  Feels different.  As long as I can stay rested and keep enjoying the process, I still think I have a lot to learn.  In fact, with 12 weeks in restaurant environments, this will probably be the most educational part of the program.

(This is also my first day of leaving the day job at 3pm, in order to make class time of 3:30.  This feels bizarre.  I'm fortunate.)   

No comments:

Post a Comment