5/17/10

First night of garde manger

Our classes have recombined, so there's once more around 40 students under one classroom roof.  Some students hate this, thinking they won't be able to use all the pans, bowls, whisks - and they're right, there was tons of stuff unavailable tonight - but I'm in favor of the disarray, it more accurately reflects life in the professional kitchen.  Plus it's cool seeing old friends.

Tonight we pounded out mayonnaise, vichyssoise soup, and two red pepper sauces, all four chilled and served cold.  One red pepper sauce was spicy, prepared with fire roasted peppers - the other was sweet, with oven roasted red peppers as a base.  It was incredible to learn how red peppers can have two such different flavor profiles just from different roasting techniques. 

R and I paired, and he made the mayonnaise while I made the vichyssoise.  The soup was so delicious!  I made it a little too thick but the rich leek flavor was just wonderful.  My family is not too amped on potato soup; otherwise I'd love to make this for them.  Maybe my mother in law would like some vichyssoise.

The red pepper dishes were amazing.  Easy to make and super sexy and rich.  R and I were both stoked and amazed at the range of flavor coming from the same damn veggie.

Garde manger is all about the cold side - salads, cold sauces, terrine, forcemeats.  This class is the one I have been looking forward to since day one.  I want to master garde manger and apply its cold side sensibility to dishes in Ithaca. 

No comments:

Post a Comment